MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I have a storage unit that items have come up missing. When

Customer Question

I have a storage unit that items have come up missing. When renting I was required by Storage Mgt to buy lock and leave a key to lock. When I realized I was missing items I notified Mgt as well as called police filed a report and filed insurance claim. Claim has been denied because lock was not broken. They claim this is theft and not covered as they only cover burglary. On line definitions seem to say even if the door was only closed and not locked it is still burglary, if entered without permission. But either way I think Storage Co has liability by keeping key that now they cannot find.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You are correct in saying that the storage company has liability for maintaining the key and contents of the unit coming up missing. It seems like your option at this point is to sue the storage company for the value of the items that were missing since your insurance company has denied the claim. You also have the option of suing your insurance company, but they will be reluctant to pay for the damages because it seems that the storage company was neglectful and this is what led to the loss of the contents.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.