Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

In illinois is it legal mayor to change s water bill against

Customer Question

In illinois is it legal for a mayor to change his water bill against an ordinance just by having legal council from the city attorney?
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather an attorney with 15 years experience. I'm happy to assist for informational and educational purposes. What did you mean by "change" his water bill?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He went to the billing clerk and he told her what he was going to pay on his water bill. A group of us went to hancock Co. States attorney an he said the Mayor talked to the city attorney and that the Mayor had legal counsel so he could. Does not sound right to me.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Mayor owns an apartment building in town. He thought he was paying too much for his water. There are 2 buildings with several apartments in each. There is only one water meter to each building, the apartments are not individually metered. The ordinance reads that metered or not, each apartment is to be billed a base rate for water and sewer plus water used. The Mayor went to the billing person and ordered her to reduce his Bill by only charging a base rate for the meters that went to the 2 buildings instead of to each apartment. He went from being charged for 7 base rates plus water used to 2 base rates plus water used, which dropped his monthly bill by a significant amount. This information was brought to the state's attorney and he said since the Mayor asked the city attorney about this issue and the city attorney told the Mayor he could do this change that charges could not be filed due to the Mayor following legal council.