Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I'm a indipindent caregive elderly. I am not certified

Customer Question

I'm a indipindent caregive for the elderly. I am not certified through the state and often work with families in hospice situations. Under the direction and permission of hospice and the family I do medicate and of course feed etc. My question is if a family member (daughter-in-law) in my case keeps wanting me to not follow hospice instructions fully to insure daily, how many breathing treatments daily 1 vs 3 am I liable if anything happens?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I'm a little confused by your question.

Are you asking if yo are liable if you follow the family member's instructions instead of the hospice's?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the daughter in law was an lvn and is into natural remedies and often tries to change amount of treatment or things that help. Keep in mind she did tell hospice 93 was long enoug to live she was ready for him to die. They were shocked not worried she will kill him but push me to not exactly do thins to help like ensure that will help him have a longer life.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My question is if something happens am I liable for following her over hospice. My desire is to follow hospice.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am hoping I can tell the son I know your wife means well but I am being instructed by hospice one way and her another this is my liability. I have to follow hospice.

Yes, you would likely be liable if you ignored what hospice told you (presumably they have medical staff) and instead follow the directions of someone that doesn't have medical training. In addition, you'd likely be fired.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks thought so. More concerned with the legalities than the job. His son foolishly listens to his wife.

You don't want to get pulled into that and you may even want to notify the hospice of the issue so that you protect yourself.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.