Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

One of the court orders in my 1982 divorce decree was that

Customer Question

One of the court orders in my 1982 divorce decree was that my former husband pay the monthly amount on the bankruptcy we both entered into. Because his first payment bounced they came after me. I ended up paying the entire amount of $10,000.00 since they garnished my pay. I know many many years has passed but is it too late to pursue this issue now? Over these past years he has purchased many big ticket items and I came across the paperwork and thought I would check it out. We both live in Springfield, Ohio. My name is ***** ***** and my phone number is(###) ###-####
Sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
I will be happy to answer your question.
Please note that any information is provided for educational purposes only!

Unfortunately, generally, any type of motion to enforce court ordered terms of divorce decree would have to be filed within reasonable time (usually within 1 year of the issue) and unfortunately, it would be generally legally impossible to pursue enforcement of the divorce decree terms, which were breached 30 years ago, due to laches, which is unreasonable delay in seeking enforcement of the divorce decree, among other legal reasons.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.