legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

Signed up as lifetime member organization (circus Fans of

Customer Question

signed up as lifetime member for national organization (circus Fans of America) several years ago. Recently told I must pay annual dues to remain a member in good standing. I paid the required fee at signup. They said they have now discontinued lifetime memberships. can they legally do this?
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

A company cannot arbitrarily terminate a life time membership; rather, if at the time the customer signed up, if they paid for a life time membership and thus annual dues were not required, then the consumer would continue to be a life time member and would be entitled to all of the benefits that came with that membership; while the company is under no obligation to offer new customers this option, it is under obligation to continue to honor the lifetime membership.

Failure to do so is a breach of action; the consumer can request either a refund for the membership fee, or may file for specific performance-basically a court order directing the corporation to honor the lifetime membership.

Small claims is for cases under $5000:

Generally one can first write a demand letter, requesting the desired relief; then if they fail to provide that, one can file a civil suit to enforce one's rights.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.