Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Can I get a deed transferred over if I live in one state and

Customer Question

Can I get a deed transferred over if I live in one state and I have it motorized in a different state.
I live in Pa and my ex husband lives in NJ. He refuses to come to Pa to sign deed over to me for house. If I take it to N J for him to sign would it be legal?
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Yes, it is entirely legal. There is no requirement for a deed to be executed and notarized in the same state as where the property is. As long as the deed is prepared according to state law in the state where the property is located, it doesn't matter where it is signed and notarized.

.

People who own vacation homes in other states often sell them from their home state and the deeds are just mailed to them for execution and return...

.

.

thanks