How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116298
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother had medicare but due to hardship she had to move

Customer Question

My mother had medicare but due to hardship she had to move out of the US for a couple of month, now I am in a better position and brought my mom back to the US, while out of the country they cancel her medicare, but now I need to reinstate it, how do I do that?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

As you probably know, Medicare has certain enrollment time periods, generally starting Jan. 1 and going through March 31 of each year. If you miss those then you have to wait for the next one to roll around. However, Medicare does have a special enrollment period if you are moving back into the country after living overseas and that time period lasts for two months after moving back.

Re-registering with Medicare is essentially the same as signing up for the first time. You can find instructions on that at this website:

If you have additional questions when enrolling then on that same website, if you look on the menu bar to the right it will have a section where you can find someone in your state to talk to. For California it will take you to this link:|California

However, most of those links aren't much help unless it is a very specific issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You are really not replying to my question, what you are giving me is just some links so that I look for the info myself, is this all the help you give?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, my answer was cut off.

In Medicare a "reinstatement" really doesn't deal with your situation, it usually deals with situations where someone was kicked off Medicare for an incorrect reason. There is a good PDF document at that discusses a lot of issues you will be facing.

Last, if you have a lot of problems getting her enrolled, an "insider's trick" is to call your local US Congressman's office and ask their staff for help. Don't try to reach the Congressman because it's unlikely you will and it will only delay matters, just ask their staff for help. They are a ton of assistance on Medicare and on Social Security issues although they want you to have tried as much as you can before you contact them.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

I provided the links so that you have additional information.

As I said, you're not reinstating, you are enrolling her and to do that you fill out the enrollment forms either in person at the office or online. The enrollment is done through the link at the initial website I provided or you can go directly to the Medicare enrollment page at

That's the answer to your question, fill out the enrollment forms. I can't tell you what to answer in them because I don't have your mother's information but it is fairly straightforward.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** am disappointed with the service. I thought I was going to get more help. Do not think my money was well spent. bye.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

And as to "is that all the help", 99% of the people you would work with don't know that you have a two month grace period to enroll once you re-enter the country. If you would have filed without me telling you that and you get rejected, which is what usually happens, then she would have had to wait until January. By providing that information and that link I enabled you to be sure that she gets covered 5 months sooner.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

I'll opt out, but I'm not sure how you could get "more help" than an answer that covers all possible aspects.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thanks and bye.
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Your previous expert has given you good information and I think he deserves a positive feedback rating from you.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR. What more help did you think you would receive from the experts on this site, please tell us and if it is something we can legally provide you within the terms of service of this site, we will do so?