How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David C. Garner Your Own Question
David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 953
Experience:  JD with Distinction, Admitted to practice in California
Type Your Legal Question Here...
David C. Garner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ihave atoll violationin Ill. I live in wi, am 85 yrs old.

Customer Question

ihave atoll violationin Ill. I live in wi, am 85 yrs old. had sold car just befor violation. In x=checking found the plates had been stolen . now ill still holds me responsible because i did not report plates stolrn until after date of icident, the plates were left on car because it was a neohew he had the plates but no mine. from work order the day befre sale plate number was not mine. but also not the ones removed from car. would pay the fine of 87 dollars but am cconcerned i could be reasponsible for furture ones.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i live in northern wi. violatilation was illinois sorry having littlle trouble seeing print
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: ssorry fibut bitgubg was regusterung okeasse waut till i re tyoe
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: whar type of lawyer should i see was going to call in morning only have 5 days to meet ther deadline d did u get that i got the call formm ill today a 6 aftewr they received package i sent wha
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 3 months ago.


My advice is this. Make your life simple. Report the plates as stolen now. Pay the $87 and be done with it, stress and all.

No need to open a big mess at (respectfully) your age. Better things to do.

I hope this helps.


Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did report it stolen on jun 23rd 2016. Sent copy of police report w affidavit to Ill tollway review. They tell me I I'll be responsible for any future violatin until that date--that is my concern. Sold the car April 20th. Violation May 4th. Did not know plate was stolen until late June. Reported plate stolen June 23rd. License plate expired April 30th 2016. Do not know what yr was on plate at time of violation.
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 3 months ago.


This is kind of a guess, but I would suggest just riding it out. You may well be in the clear with nothing to worry about. You might try calling them to see if any additional violations are pending on that plate. If none, you are in the clear. If there are, you ought to be able to assess the situation and decide what to do.


Related Legal Questions