Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I need help with suing a bail bondsman company. I bailed my

Customer Question

I need help with suing a bail bondsman company. I bailed my boyfriend out of jail on June 6th. The bondsman posted the bond and took 1,800 dollars from me and after 6 hours of waiting for my Boyfriend to get released. They called and said that a warrant in Fresno was issued and they couldn't get him out. It has been a month and a half since I was told I would be receiving a refund from Hot bail bonds. I have never received any refund and its been over a month, All my boyfriends charges were dropped except one so I contacted the bail bondsman since they already had my money and they said I need more money or another cosigner and then hung up on me. I want to know what legal options I have because they still won't give me my money and I had 350 dollars in over draft charges because they said my funds would be in my account in 3-5 days. Help me
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You can report them to the licensing agency for bail bondsmen in CA, which is at http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0200-industry/0050-renew-license/0200-requirements/bail-agent.cfm . At the top of that page it says File A COmplaint and that will lead you through the process.

The other option is to sue them in small claims court or to hire a lawyer to sue them in Superior Court.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

However, you can probably handle the lawsuit yourself in small claims court. CA has a small claims website with information and all the forms at http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm