Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I 't know if I'm in the right place) As a General

Customer Question

I don't know if I'm in the right place)
As a General Contractor, for a Commercial Retail Finish-Out project (Texas), we have a customer who is refusing to pay their invoice. The job was terminated in the middle of the work, and they have not paid for the services rendered. I've been told I should send a Notice of Intent to Lien letter to the customer and the Building Owner, and I need some help getting that process started.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Here are the Texas lien forms and instructions: http://lpfirm.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/LienLaw.pdf
You should send them the lien notice and another copy of the invoice and if they do not pay the invoice after you place the lien on the property, you then need to file suit against the owner to seek to foreclose on the lien and take their property to sell to satisfy the judgment or seek money judgment against them, which would be the point where you would seek to get an attorney involved to represent you, as you can potentially seek attorney's fees as well for part of their willful and malicious refusal to pay their bill in breach of their contract.