P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

I Recent loss my job and with my savings i bought a suv cash

Customer Question

I Recent loss my job and with my savings i bought a suv cash so i could learn how to drive so i can look for work.since i dont have a license i put the truck in a friend name.what can i do if they are trying to take my truck? i am listed as a cobuyer ...please help
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. You purchased but put the rig in someone else's name? Why would you do that?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Trusted in him because I need to to start driving

Can you tell me, how much did you pay for the car?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

If they refuse to return the car, you can sue them to recover the car or the money you spent on the car.

You have a choice. You can use small claims court to recover money.

Small claims is a true "peoples court". The formal rules of evidence and procedure do not apply. So you can represent yourself (no need to hire a lawyer).

The process is simple enough. You head to the county court (the county where the person lives) and talk to the clerk of the court. They can get you the forms needed to start. You file the claim, serve a copy on the defendant and wait for your day in court.

In court, be prepared to tell the judge what happened, and bring in copies of any evidence that supports your case. IF there are witnesses who can testify about what happened? Have them come as well.

The only hitch? The limit for small claims is $15K. So if you go this route you can only sue for $15K

OR you can hire a lawyer and sue in district court for the entire $19K

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding