Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I would like to join with the physician and do maybe a 6040%

Customer Question

I would like to join with the physician and do maybe a 6040% split how can I word things that would be illegal and what is considered a legal with fees splitting. Could he pay me for my services counting the office and receptionists as part of the payment ?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I just want to know specifically what fee splitting is and what would be a legal arrangement for our situation with myself this is Dietitian and he's the physician.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Can I be sure that your information on fees putting for Dietitian would be accurate ?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The situation is some doctors don't want to pay his salary so I can offer my services as a dietitian and have them pay me like 60% of the total amount of money raised through counseling I need to know what is a legal agreement and what is an illegal agreement
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,

You need to be careful with this kind of arrangement - it is almost certainly going to be considered the "corporate practice of medicine" - and you will want to have a local attorney with experience in medical entities.

But for a brief summary of the "corporate practice of medicine" doctrine that I referenced above - see:

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My question was not answered in the least. I asked for specifically what fee spliting was in Texas and how I could legally execute an arrangement with a physician for a 60% dietitian and 40% for the physician. How can it be worded to be legal. You did not answer any of this. Please send the answers or give to another attorney the opportunity to answer it without additional charges.
Vicki Burke

Dear Customer, I am going to "opt out" and allow another expert to follow up with you. Please do not post any further at this time as it will delay the next expert's ability to follow up. If you need any assistance in the meantime, please contact our customer service at: Thank you for using our forum, and I do wish you the best of luck. Bill

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 3 months ago.

I have some experience with this in Texas. You could certainly offer your services from a doctor's office but you cannot share medical fees with the doctor as that is not allowed. You would have to bill separately for your services. I am happy to talk by phone to address any specific questions you have. Fee spliting is where you share a percentage of money the physician collects but that is technically not allowable unless you are providing a service to the physician's practice specifically.

We can talk by phone if you like but there are additional charges. Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated as we are only paid if we receive a rating of 3 or higher.