CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Can you legally hold someone against their will issues

Customer Question

Can you legally hold someone against their will for mental issues
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Yes, it is possible for a court to order an individual held against their will due to an inability to care for themselves, or because they pose a danger to themselves or others.

The individual being held has a right to an attorney, and a right to a jury trial (for holds longer than the emergency hold/evaluation period - so if a court is going to place a person on a 1 year hold, the individual has a right to a trial).

These statutes also allow an "emergency hold" (usually 72 hours) for a physician to place an individual under a mental health hold for the same reasons.

Each state has their own particular statute - so you will see different references (for example: CA has the Lanterman Petris Short Act (5150, 5250, and 5350 holds), while other states have the "Baker Act" - and still other states use their own particular statute), but each is a variation of the principle I described above.