Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

A cashier mispelled my first name and he laughed. MN, not

Customer Question

A cashier mispelled my first name and he laughed.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: MN
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I need advice or is there a law or crime about misspelled name that sound inappropiate?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I sue a fast food restaurant for misspelling my first name inappropriatly?

Where was it misspelled? Also, are you basing your belief that it may have been illegal on anything specific?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The cashier put PEE as my name on the receipt instead of "Bee", my real name. I literally told him, " Just like a bumble bee".

There is no law against that nor any damages caused by it.

There could be a potential lawsuit if he used a word that indicated illegal undertones (ex. referring you your race, gender, etc) but that would be the only way. Even if he used a term that was insulting it would still be legal.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.