Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP

Can I file a lawsuit when a store refuse to take my money

Customer Question

Can I file a lawsuit when a store refuse to take my money because it a little worn
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 3 months ago.

Well you certainly can file a lawsuit based on these facts, as anyone can bring a lawsuit for any reason. But the key question is will this lawsuit be successful, and my opinion is the lawsuit would be dismissed and probably seen to be without merit. Generally, a business has the ability to accept any forms of payment they so choose and to deny forms of payment. Some businesses refuse to accept anything over a $20 bill or $50 bill. Some businesses refuse to accept credit cards. Other businesses will only accept credit cards. So clearly a business can choose not to accept worn money.

The only chance a suit like this could be successful is if you were singled out for some reason and you can prove they accept worn bills from others, but not from you. But this would be difficult , if not impossible, to prove. My advice would be forget the lawsuit and just stop shopping there. And/or take the worn bills to the bank and exchange them, as they are obligated to accept worn bills.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a rating so I receive credit for promptly responding to you. Also, feel free to ask follow up questions after providing a rating. Thanks.