Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I live with my daughter she recentlly got boyfriend who i

Customer Question

i live with my daughter she recentlly got boyfriend who i dont like she has threaten me she told m e that she wiil throw me out because of him i gave her the money for a down payment i pay all the utitlies ibuy the food clean cook and wash i take care of the dogs too we have lived here 5 years is there anything i can do can she really throw mw out her name is ***** ***** deed
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Unless you have something in writing from her about the down payment stating that it is a loan, it may be treated by the courts as a gift. That aside, if only her name is ***** ***** deed, then she ultimately controls who can and cannot live there. If you do not have a formal lease agreement allowing you to stay there, then she can give you reasonable notice and then file with the court to evict you. If she tells you to leave in writing and you do not, she can also file a trespass complaint with the police. Fortunately, most police departments do not get involved in such disputes and will tell her to file an eviction type action.

From a legal standpoint, because your name is ***** ***** the deed, there is not much you can do except try to work something out with her. I know this is not what you wanted to hear; but I am assuming that you are paying for a honest and professional answer.