Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am in us on a tourist visa from Venezuela. My country is

Customer Question

I am in us on a tourist visa from Venezuela. My country is in a state of duress. Basic need such as food, electricity, water are not readily available if at all. I have been robbed, stolen from faced many hardships in my country. I would like to apply for residency in US. I am outside of Denver, where do I go to speak with a consulate and what is the lilyhood of me being able to stay in US?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would need to go to the USCIS office in Denver ( and file a request for Asylum based on the dangers and possibility of harm you face should you return to your home country. Here is the I-589 process, the form you need to fill out and the steps:
If you can show you face some type of harm or imminent danger should you return, your chances are fairly good that you will be able to stay here in the US.
Absent proving the grounds for asylum though, I am afraid you would not really have chance on any other grounds and would have to leave and submit your application through the visa lottery process to come to the US.