Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live and work in california. I am a licensed plumber now.

Customer Question

Hi, I live and work in california. I am a licensed plumber now. But worked as a laboror for a non licensed contractor operating as a project manager. I was a 1099 employ and not on payroll. I have a outstanding balance of 3500 dollars owed to me from this person can I take him to small claims court?? Or what is the best route to collect from this person?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if you are owed money from contracting with a non-licensed contractor, you can sue for money due you for work you performed for the contractor. This is a bit different from the CA law saying an unlicensed contractor cannot sue their client for work done, you are suing a company or person who agreed to pay you for actually working for them as an employee contractor, not for performing unlicensed work.
Small claims court for that money is best, ***** ***** sue for up to $10,000 in CA without an attorney in small claims.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK thank you. Now when I file this total amount is from 3 invoices at 3 separate jobs can I file 1 claim for all three or do u have to file 3 claims one for each amount.
Thank you for your reply.
You can file one suit for all three invoices.