Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law

I live in California and in March was off. I revived a

Customer Question

I live in California and in March was laid off. I revived a severance agreement that I signed and returned however before I did so, I crossed out a couple dates and out in revised dates (i.e. They said I would be paid by end of June and I wrote 5/15). Anyway, I never received a counters igniters but via email was told it was received and I received emails promising payment by the original end of June date.
Now we are passed the due date, I have not received payment (because they say they don't have the money) and they are now saying the agreement is probably not valid due to my cross outs.
My question is - are they right or is the contract valid?
Expert:  Legalease replied 3 months ago.

Hello there --

They are correct in stating that the contract with the crossed out dates is not valid because they never countersigned and returned it to you (both parties to a contract must agree in writing to any amendments like that). However, they reconfirmed the original contract in their email to you and thus should have honored the terms of the original contract. In a situation like this, if you were an hourly or salaried employee and not an independent contractor, you can file a complaint with the CA Dept of Industrial Relations -- here is a link: If the claim is less than $12,500 you can also take them to small claims court,

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need any further assistance. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you today. I am not credited for this time unless you press a positive rating above before leaving the website. THANK YOU VERY MUCH