AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience

I am retired 62 year old male (queer). A few days ago a 12

Customer Question

I am retired 62 year old male (queer). A few days ago a 12 year old girl came to me and my lady friend and requested shelter at our home. My lady friend has been friends with the girl for some time and I am a recent acquaintance with the girl. I took her to the police station and they advised me to take her to her home while they went there also. The next day she ran away from her home and came back to my home and has been here since. Her father is deceased and her mother is homeless. Her legal guardian is her 65 year old grandfather who is a speed freak and is very neglectful. The grandfather's live in girlfriend is cruel and abusive to both the girl and her grandfather and the girl is very fearful of her. My lady friend and I are exploring the possibility of becoming the girl's foster parents but have not yet submitted any paperwork. We all get along great with each other.
Am I at legal risk for sheltering the runaway girl? The girl says she will run far away if she is forced to go back home. She does not want to go to Child Protective Services because she does love her grandfather and does not want him to get in trouble. We have not yet notified CPS.
Any suggestions?
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'll be assisting for informational purposes.

This is a very nice story and I am very happy to be assisting you tonight; however, I wasn't quite clear what your question was. Would you be able to clarify?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Am I at any legal risk for sheltering this girl?And any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I do not think you are at legal risk, per se, but the right thing to do is to make a report to CPS. This child is clearly neglected and the state should be notified.

However, you should inform CPS that you would like to be the guardian/foster parent. If they will not cooperate (and it's entirely possible that the child is removed from your home and put with another foster family as soon as you make the report), then you can file a case in juvenile court asking to be appointed guardian of the child, if applying to be a foster parent does not go through quickly enough.

Hi, I'm just checking in to see if you could let me know if I was able to answer your question. Thanks!