AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

As a private business owner do I have any recorce against a

Customer Question

As a private business owner do I have any recorce against a local union municipality for serial poaching of my well trained employees - that poached 3 men in 1 year a few years back & now it has started again
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney of 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist for informational purposes.

If you have a contract with your employees (hopefully you do), you can sue them for tortious interference. Tortious interference, also known as intentional interference with contractual relations, in the common law, occurs when a someone intentionally damages the plaintiff's contractual or other business relationships.

Has this answered your question?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No - can the city of baker intentionally target my employees to staff there Union shop by taking multiple employees in a short period of time instead of hiring thru the employment division like other businesses do

In order for you to have a claim against them, they either have to be breaking a criminal law, or breaking a civil law. If you have a contract with your employees, then they are tortiously interfering with your contracts, and you would have a tort claim that you could sue them for. In that case, they would be unlawfully interfering with your contractual relationships with your employees. If you do not, then you would not likely have a claim. I'm not trying to be repetitive, but the lawsuit that people file, when third parties interfere with their employees or employment relations is tortious interference. If you do not have a contract with your employees, then there is no tortious interference with contract.

Has this given you any clarification, or am I still missing the point? I'm here to assist you and I want to help any way I can.