LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

I red a contractor who i found out didnt have a drivers

Customer Question

i hired a contractor who i found out didnt have a drivers licence.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: az
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i pretty much dont feel i should have tp pay the kid
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did you hire them for a job or as your employee for a business you operate?

2. What do you mean that you don't feel you should have to pay him? Pay him for what? Did he do the job he was hired to do?

3. What does a driver's license have to do with an agreement you have with the contractor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i hired him as a contractor fr my business to take care of our ebay account and shipping of thoses items. I asked him very Specifically if he drove because the job required that he drive. turns out he didn't have a license. this came out at the end of the second day of training. he was let go after
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the clarification.

While you have every right in the world to terminate him based on his misrepresentation that he had a license and could legally drive as part of his job, AZ state labor law and federal wage law prohibits you from withholding wages of an employee for hours that they have already worked.

So while his termination for cause was entirely proper and he will be ineligible for unemployment benefits, you are still obligated to pay his wages earned during the time he did work.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,