Bill Fix
Bill Fix, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Fix Law, PLLC
93921581

I broke off an engagement. When the engagement ring was

Customer Question

I broke off an engagement. When the engagement ring was given, I specifically told her I expected return of the ring if it didn't work out. The ring is appraised at $20,000
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Washington. Her in Oregon
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I asked her to give it back, since it was mine. She refused
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 4 months ago.

Did you give her the ring as part of any other gift-giving event, like a birthday or Christmas? If so, most jurisdictions wouldn't require her to give it back. But if it was just an engagement ring, not doubled up with any other occasion, most courts would have her return the ring because it was a "gift given in contemplation of marriage." That is the general rule.

(Although common courtesies in our culture might say if you broke it off, she doesn't have to give it back. If she breaks it off, she does.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. It was a separate event.
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 4 months ago.

If you sued, you would likely prevail. And if the ring is worth $20k, it's worth it to pursue it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
one last thing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does Oregon law change that?Its a family heirloom, 2.5 carat HQ diamond. For all I know it might be worth 30K
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 4 months ago.

Where did you both live when you got engaged? That may control where the more appropriate venue is--Oregon or Washington.

I'm not licensed in Oregon and don't know the exact specifics there, but I did find this post that puts a lot of info together, including some Oregon-specific stuff: http://blog.oregonlegalresearch.com/2009/09/the-law-of-engagement-rings-with-a-side-of-ring-flingers-and-oregon-cows.html

This site covers the basic details I ran over previously, but as you can see, certain facts and details can change the outcome.