Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I currently work company who filed 11. We have received our

Customer Question

I currently work for a company who filed for Chapter 11. We have received our judgement and are making payments to the trustee. Is there an option for myself or another party to purchase the book of business without inheriting the liabilities.
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Yes, a Chapter 11 debtor may pursue a sale of substantially all of its assets in bankruptcy, with the buyer to operate the business prospectively. A sale of substantially all of a debtor’s assets may occur either inside or outside of a plan of reorganization. A sale of substantially all of a debtor’s assets means a sale of assets such as real estate, inventory, equipment, trademarks and other assets typically sold in an out-of-court asset sale. These sales are governed by § 363 of the Bankruptcy Code and, therefore, are commonly referred to as “363 sales.” The bankruptcy court will approve a sale of substantially all or a portion of a debtor’s assets if all provisions of section 363 are followed, the bid is fair, and the sale is in the best interests of the BK estate and its creditors.