LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

I have a court order from my divorce settlement which gives

Customer Question

I have a court order from my divorce settlement which gives my ex items from the house. Most of them are waiting in the driveway for him and have been here at the house for months now. Couches that he's getting are taking up half of my garage. Our divorce was final April 1,2016. I have made multiple attempts through email to set up pick up times which either don't work for him or he can't find help. How long am I obligated to hold onto these items? We need the space back.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It was a mistake not to have put in the decree the amount of time he had to collect his stuff. Generally a court will agree to a 30 day period. At this point you need to go back to court and get the court to modify the decree so that he has 30 days to get the things or you may do with them as you please. The judge will be happy to grant this to you, but you will have to formally ask the court to modify the decree.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,