MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I was delivering to a family dollar store yesterday and two

Customer Question

I was delivering to a family dollar store yesterday and two guys came in to rob the store and the manager tried to run off with the money instead of give it to them and put me in some bad positions with the robbers. in the result I have been dealing with bad dreams of flashbacks and kept throwing up half the day yesterday. I had to take couple days off of work with no pay to collect myself ....... Is there anyway to hold family dollar responsible for putting me in this position
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is no. Unfortunately, Family Dollar is not responsible for the fact that robbers came in to rob the store because they had no control over that situation. However, if the manager stole your money, you can sue Family Dollar for civil theft. You will not be able to recover for emotional distress though. This is already a very difficult cause of action to recover on and, unless Family Dollar was negligent in their security, it is highly unlikely you will be able to recover.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The manager left with the money to the back of the store when the robber turned his back in which made them mad and I was at risk............... one ended up running after him and then they took me back there where I was held alone until they pick the cash up that the manger dropped in which I was almost shot . they let me go after I had to walk with them to the front of the store in which they let me go
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 4 months ago.

You can always sue the store for the actions of the manager. However, a cause of action on an intentional infliction of emotional distress is very difficult to prove and/or win.

You may have a case against them for negligent security, but you will have to prove that they had notice (due to a prior robbery for example) or should have reasonably taken steps to prevent this from occurring. If this was the first time anything like this has happened, it is unlikely you will be successful.