Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

My mother past away in Dec 2015 in Mass. and I live in Phila

Customer Question

My mother past away in Dec 2015 in Mass. and I live in Phila so I am not familiar inheritance laws in Mass. She left stocks valued at 175k. No property. No other family members. Do I need to pay any tax?
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Massachusetts has no "inheritance tax" on the beneficiary of any estate funds as only 6 states have an actual inheritance tax.

This is well below the federal estate tax as well as the $1 million Mass estate tax.

So there would be no taxes due from you on the inheritance at all.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.