Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My mother past away in Dec 2015 in Mass. and I live in Phila

Customer Question

My mother past away in Dec 2015 in Mass. and I live in Phila so I am not familiar inheritance laws in Mass. She left stocks valued at 175k. No property. No other family members. Do I need to pay any tax?
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Massachusetts has no "inheritance tax" on the beneficiary of any estate funds as only 6 states have an actual inheritance tax.

.

This is well below the federal estate tax as well as the $1 million Mass estate tax.

.

So there would be no taxes due from you on the inheritance at all.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

thanks