Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My son will be released from the state prison system on

Customer Question

My son will be released from the state prison system on August 9th, and returning to his mother's home in Burgaw, NC. It is my understanding that at the time of his incarceration, the probation period upon his release was legally established at 90 days. We have been told, not by legal representatives, that the probation officer serving that area has insisted upon inmates released into her custody sign a "voluntary" waiver to the 90 day probation, and change the period of time to 5 years. We have further been informed that refusal to sign this form has resulted into immediate re incarceration at the local jail. I wish to not believe this, but my experience with NC law leaves me without assurance that this is true and possible, I am terminally ill. It is my intention to keep hanging on at least long enough to see my son again. My health has eliminated the possibility of making an in person visit. We do talk regularly on the phone. It is of critical importance to me that I can give solid information to my son, and that I can advice him as to how to handle the situation if it were to occur. Also, it is my intention to discuss this with the probation officer, but feel that I need to be sure that my position is backed by law, and hopefully will have the NC regulation backing that position in hand. I appreciate all that you do. I have been a ACLU member in the past, but current situation has mandated that I cut back on any and all non-essential expenditures. Obviously, time is of the essence, and anything that you can do to assist will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Wayne ********* *************
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly can I answer for you, i.e. what are you asking here?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!