Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I got a DWI early July in 2012. I paid my court fees, did

Customer Question

I got a DWI early July in 2012. I paid my court fees, did ALL my classes, served my jail time, all that. However, instead of suspending my license altogether, I was allowed a restricted. I served out the time until I could fully reinstate my license. The only provision being that I had to have my insurance company file an FR-44. I could've sworn I was only required to have that filed for 3 years. It's soon to be 4 and that's still a provision on my record. I cut off my car insurance in January of this year, thinking I didn't need that piece of paper anymore. The DMV suspended my license, I got caught for driving on a suspended last month, went to court Monday, and now I have 12 more months on top of what I already had it "suspended" for. Is there anything I can do about it? Maybe try to appeal to get a restricted? Also, why has it been almost 4 years and I'm STILL required to have special insurance?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Is there anything I can do about it?

Response 1: Unfortunately, there is nothing you do can under the circumstances.

Maybe try to appeal to get a restricted?

Response 2: It is doubtful that your appeal would be successful and that you would be granted another restricted license in light of what has transpired in your case.

Also, why has it been almost 4 years and I'm STILL required to have special insurance?

Response 3: This is the current law.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/commercial/#insurance/certifications.asp

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not satisfied with your answer. I know the current VA laws. I want my $26 back