Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can a company display business bad debts on line to the

Customer Question

Can a company display business bad debts on line to the public if the creditor is the complaining party against a debtor after exhausting all efforts to collect the debt?
Thus creating a profile of deadbeats that continue to use fraud in obtaining goods and services with no intention of paying for them.
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A collection agency cannot. Doing this is illegal under FDCPA's 15 U.S.C. § 1692(d) - "publishing the consumer's name or address on a "bad debt" list." However, under federal law, this limitation does not apply to the creditor, only the collection agency.

But depending on the state, some state laws may disallow this as well for the creditor. If you tell me what state this is in, I can check.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This would be on the Internet so it would be worldwide.
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

It would depend on:

-what state the company is in, and

-what state the debtor is in.

Even if this is online.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!