Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

The police in my area, Brodhead Wi, will stop people walking

Customer Question

The police in my area, Brodhead Wi, will stop people walking home home before closing time & after bar time without cause. Its a small town so most people do walk. Is it legal to be stopped and harassed while walking or just leaving the tavern when there is no cause to be stopped? I'm the bartender and would like to know my customers rights.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Brodhead Wisconsin, happened April 30th (that was the last time I witnessed it)
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this matter. What do the police do once the person is stopped? Are they asked for ID or what?

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Bordhead does have a local ordinance prohibiting Public Consumption. See this LINK

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

And, of course, there is a state law prohibiting Disorderly Conduct. See this LINK

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

But if the tavern patrons are not leaving with alcoholic beverages and consuming them in public and the are orderly then I suggest the police really have no right to simply stop them.