TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I filed a judgment against someone for $7,500. She went to a

Customer Question

I filed a judgment against someone for $7,500. She went to a bankruptcy attorney and told me that she was willing to pay $100.00 every two weeks on the debt. If she files bankruptcy, does that mean that I will loose the money owed to me?
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help.
Customer: I know a lawyer that I can talk to about this but thought that you might be able to advise me as to whether or not I would lose my money.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not about her filing. I just found out tonight that she talked to an attorney about this. What does it cost, generally to file for her?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: You misunderstood me. What would it cost for her to file bankruptcy?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Why would I pay a deposit of $5? I have already filed the judgment against her.
JA: Because the Lawyer will solve your problem quickly right now and for a fraction of the cost of seeing an in-person Lawyer.
Customer: The amount being???????????
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Q: If she files bankruptcy, does that mean that I will loose the money owed to me?

A: It depends on many facts such how the debt was incurred, as well as the chapter of bankruptcy that is filed, and whether she has substantial assets. First, most debts can indeed be discharged in bankruptcy. For example, if the debt was incurred from a loan that you gave her, or if she negligently damaged your property, then the debt would be dischargeable. However, debts that were incurred as a result of fraud are not usually dischargeable. But even if the debt is dischargeable, then you may still get something if she has substantial assets or files the bankruptcy under Chapter 13. Having said that, in most cases, I would guess that you would not get anything from the judgment if she files for bankruptcy.

Q: What does it cost, generally to file for her?

A: It'll probably cost her between $1500 and $3500 to file the bankruptcy, depending on the chapter that she files under, and the fees that the attorney charges. Anything more or less would be a bit unusual.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!