CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

Yesterday I went to a motel with my grand-daughter to rent

Customer Question

Yesterday I went to a motel with my grand-daughter to rent her and her boyfriend a room.I am temporarily using a walker due to a broken hip. The office of the motel was up 2 steep steps with no railing. The only way I could get up the steps was with the support of her boyfriend and getting down was even harder. There is no other way into the office. A person in a wheelchair or using a walker cannot access this office without help. This could easily be fixed by running a ramp from the parking lot to the office along the side of the building. This is the Valley Motel in on Clayton Road in Concord, Ca
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,

If you would like to pursue this matter, there are many "ADA" attorneys in California that specialize in pursuing property owners for non-compliance with disabled access regulations in the state. You may even find that you can get a small recovery as the named plaintiff.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pretty general.I wanted to know if this was worth pursuing. I will be off a walker soon but it will affect others.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
By the way, I do not want an ongoing membership, just this one time.

The ADA violation is based on failure to permit access. It is not based on the fact that you are relieved from your injury.

As I noted if you want to pursue this, you are going to want to retain a lawyer that specializes in this, California's ADA laws use what is termed a "Private Attorney General Statute" - which basically allows private attorneys to enforce state laws against private business.

• (You will want to confirm your account with our Customer Service here:, as an expert on the forum, I have no access to your account or billing information, I do appologize for the inconvenience).