Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association

My son's father has not seen son in two years..messed up

Customer Question

Hi my son's father has not seen son in two years..messed up with health insurance..and is not paying full amount of his child support I want him to cont. Paying until he is 21
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I was told when we had divorce I could use a mediator
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I tried to make arrangements several times for him to pay...see his no avail and I don't like talking to him because he threatens me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I am an attorney and am happy to assist you today.

Yes, you are entitled to have him take care of the health insurance and his child support payments if this is what the agreement was in the divorce order.

If the court is offering you mediation, that is a good option because you can do it without lawyers. Your other option is to file a motion with the judge saying that he should be held in contempt of court because he is not complying with the court order. The judge will order him to comply, and if he doesn't, he could even be arrested. It doesn't usually come to that but it is a possibility. The court can also attach some of his income or bank accounts to get you paid.

So I would try for the mediator first because that is easier and less costly, and you might be able to work it out.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you...this was some relief..he also said he will stop payments when he turns 18 I told you can't unless we go to court..and you owe back pay

You are welcome. Right, so he does have to comply with whatever the court order says. If it says 21, then that's what it is. If he wants to change that, he would have to go to court and it wouldn't be likely.

Best of luck. If you don't have any more follow up questions, please be sure to close the question by clicking one of the top three ranking options, which will give me credit for my work with you today.

Thank you and take care.