LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I have a verbal agreement with a man in Iowa. About storing

Customer Question

I have a verbal agreement with a man in Iowa. About storing my camper at his house. I was paying him $60 a month. He said pay whatever you can. After 6 months, I couldn't afford to pay. So I called him and told him I was having a hard time. He said don't worry about it. Your camper is here and it will be fine. That he understood times were tough and it would be there for me. A year later he sends me a letter satin it's been vandalized. And just to send him the title and he would take control of it. I was wondering what rights legally he has to try and possess my camper? Or can I just go get it?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.

Good morning. He has no legal right to possess your camper. In a situation like this, you are allowed to contact him and retrieve it. He would be entitled to money which is owed and past due for the storage fee but you have no legal obligation to simply transfer title to him and allow him to take it, unless of course you want to. It certainly seems as though this man was being nice, allowing you to keep it there, working with you in payment but he can not just take it unless he 1) advising and demands that you come and retrieve it and then 2) goes through the legal process to show it was abandoned and he has a right to take it since it was left on his property.