Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I brought furniture friends business $10,000 we have a court

Customer Question

I brought furniture for my friends business for over $10,000 we have a court date on the 19th of this month I have all the payment info I want the money for the furniture or the furniture is this something I can ask for also judge Judy want to put the case on TV but they only pay up to $5,000 what is the best way to handle this do you think I need to get a lawyer and can I put in the claim lawyer cost
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Va
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Virginia
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still answering ?

Just a minute...this isn't an instant process.

Ok, here is your problem...VA has a $5K limit in small claims court. So if you want to sue for the full $10K, you will have to hire an attorney and sue in a higher court to get a judgment for everything that he owes you. While you can ask for your attorney fees to be included in the judgment, it is up to the judge whether or not to award them.

.

But if you can show some type of bad faith or fraud on the part of the defendant in not paying you, then the judge us likely to agree to award them.

.

As part of the suit, you can ask for a money judgment or you can ask for "replevin" which is the return of the property that the defendant is illegally in possession of. But if you get the property back, then you have to keep or sell it to get your money. So generally people just ask for the money judgment..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thank you

Did you see my previous post...I think we posted at about the same time..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I saw it thank you for your advice

Ok, just wanted to make sure...

.

And you are very welcome. Happy to help any time..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

All the best to you and yours.