Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

WHAT KIND OF LAWYER DO I NEED IF I WANT TO RECOVER RENTAL

Customer Question

WHAT KIND OF LAWYER DO I NEED IF I WANT TO RECOVER RENTAL EQUIPMENT FROM OTHERS WHO REFUSE TO GIVE BACK OR PAY FOR MY EQUIPMENT.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If the value of the equipment is $10,000 or less, you don't need a lawyer at all. You could file a suit on your own in Small Claims Court and ask a judge to order them to pay you for the equipment (or you could then agree to accept it back, if it's undamaged).

For claims of more than $10,000, having a lawyer can help you navigate the Superior Court, although the courthouse does have forms you can file yourself to open the case. You'd be looking for a litigation attorney or breach of contract lawyer since this is a case based on an agreement to rent equipment. If they'd just taken your equipment, then you'd want someone who works in intentional torts, specifically conversion.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?