Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

Is this legal in the us and if not, how can could it be

Customer Question

Hey - is this legal in the us and if not, how can could it be adjusted to be legal?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Federal law does not currently ban online lotteries. However, each state has their own lottery rules. In Alabama, there is a constitutional provision prohibiting the state from creating a lottery and prohibiting the sale of lottery tickets or "gift enterprise tickets" in the state, meaning that it's also illegal to give tickets away. In order to make a lottery site legal in your state, it would be necessary to first get the constitution amended, and then lobby for the repeal of laws that make it illegal for you to buy a lottery ticket while physically in Alabama.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey! - The company is actually based in the UK, we want to accept entries from the US, we've added "Void where prohibited" to our terms, to cover states that do not allow people to enter lotteries.

Most U.S. states do not allow people to enter lotteries online. Nevada and New Jersey allow people to gamble, and I believe Illinois now lets people purchase state lottery tickets, but that's only for the lottery they run.