Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have been in my home years. Its rent to own. I am now on

Customer Question

I have been in my home for 8 years. Its rent to own. I am now on my 3rd owner. They tried to evict me cause my bully pit but she is registered as a emotional dog for my husband I sent my rent for may and she never got it it was sent back to me. I've been holding on to mays and Junes rent cause I've ask her and ask her to give me another address to send my payments to but she never text me back. She gave me a 5 day notice last month but let us stay. I had court on June 30th she said it was eviction court after court I text her and told her how much $ I had and where could I send it. She finally text me last night and said to take my 3 months of rent I owe and go get me a dilapidated house. And the sheriff will b there Wednesday or Thursday to make sure we was out. What can I do??
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Did you actually go to court on the 30th?

,

What did the judge say at that time?

,

Did he rule against you and give the landlord a judgment of eviction against you?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes I went to court. He called my name I said here he said are you aware that they say you owe rent? I said yes he said ok sign your name with them and its up to them to let you stay

Ok, then that means that a judgment of eviction was entered against you and the landlord can now get a writ to have the sheriff serve on you to force you to move out immediately.

.

The landlord must give you a 2-day (48 hour) notice to move out after the hearing. The landlord can give you the notice or send the sheriff to give the notice to you. It is extremely important that you move out before the two days are up. If you do not move out within the two days and the landlord takes back the property, you risk losing everything you have left in the home. If you are pressed for time, take your important papers and most valuable things first, along with any personal property you cannot replace. The landlord can lock up anything you leave, throw your belongings out on the curb, or put things into storage. The landlord can also charge you storage costs. If you do not pay the storage costs, the landlord or the storage company can sell your property.

.

So if the landlord won't accept rent and allow you to stay on, then you will need to make plans to move out before he arrives with the sheriff to set all your property out and have the sheriff physically remove you.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks