legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I might need a lawyer. My problem is I did sign up with a

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I might need a lawyer. My problem is I did sign up with a lawyer firm to help me with my credit, and somehow I started receiving magazines like crazy. I do not remember signing up for magazines and would not normally sign up for magazines. In the meantime someone got into my bank account and helped themselves to my money.
This is Shiela again. I'm sorry I pressed the wrong key. So I had to turn in all my credit cards and had all my banking info changed. my fiancé tried to call to cancel right away. I tried to cancel. All of my bills are on auto pay, so when the magazine people couldn't collect t5their money, they keep calling me wanting my new bank info, plus about 3 months of past due bills by now. I'm 71 and since someone got into my bank account I'm really struggling. My question is: Do I still have to continue with the magazines or can I cancel? Also now they want to reduce the monthly amount. Is there any way I can get out of thi
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.
Did you ever sign up for a subscription? What state is this on regards to? Did you notify the bank?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello; I'm sorry, this question just came to my attention but I have been having trouble with the mobile app; I am not currently set up to do telephone calls but if you would like to continue on this forum I would be more than happy to assist you; if you can just post your answer to the above about the subscriptions, the state and if the bank was notified, I will get back to you. I will try to check back later today but due to the holiday I may not be able to respond until tomorrow.

Did you have any comments on the above?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, I'm Shiela Greer and you asked a couple of questions....I'm in California, and yes I did contact the bank. Also my fiance told them we wanted to cancel, and they said can't do that. They also told me that they could lower my monthly charge after I told them someone had gotten my bank info. I was getting about 4 or 5 magazines a day. I hope this helps. Thank You

First, one should contact the magazine company and ask for a copy of the contract; if they are unable to provide proof that there was a contract for a subscription, the consumer may cancel.

It is a violation of the consumer protection act to do the following:

Fail to clearly and conspicuously disclose to consumers all material terms for automatic subscription renewals,

Not mail to consumers subscription solicitations that resemble bills, invoices or statements of accounts due.

Some companies even fail to honor cancellation requests, requiring the consumer to cancel the method of billing (ie canceling the credit card that was provided) - please see:

A complaint can be filed with the government here:

If a third party ordered the magazines after getting one's personal banking information, it is very important to close out that bank account and to report identity theft and to put an alert on one's credit report:

information on that process here:

Here is the required affidavit:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Checking in on the above; if you have any follow up questions please post today as I will be on vacation for 1 week starting this evening; thank you!