Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

2 questions- Kansas law says that a person cannot file more

Customer Question

2 questions-
Kansas law says that a person cannot file more than 2 protection orders in one year. She had filed 1 PFS last July that she dropped the PFA in August and this most recent PFS. Could they be considered the same?She already had a PFA in place and then filed the PFS. Is there any case law that the PFS is redundant due to the fact the PFA was already in place?
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. The Protection From Abuse and the Protection From Stalking are two separate orders and processes. They are not the same. Therefore they were legally obtained within the confines of the law and not redundant.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Here are the links for each of the applications and processes and you can clearly see they are not the same
PFA

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

PFS

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you mr sam
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome. Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She already had a PFA in place and then filed the PFS. Is there any caselaw that the PFS is redundant due to the fact the PFA was already in place?
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Again, because the processes are separate and the orders are not the same. As you can see from the blue links I provided, the instructions, reasons and applications are each entirely different. And unfortunately, I am not able to do case law searches for customers of this site. You can, however, check with the Law Library Clerk at your local court house and they may be able to assist you with locating case law.