legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

Can I file a police report of misdemeanor assault that took

Customer Question

Can I file a police report of misdemeanor assault that took place in another state? Both parties have recently moved out of state.
Expert:  legalgems replied 5 months ago.

What state did the misdemeanor assault occur in? Are both parties in the same state now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It happened in NM and we have both moved to Texas.

Thank you for your patience as I reviewed this;

so the state where the crime occurred is the state with jurisdiction; the victim can contact the police department and file a report over the phone (some precincts have online forms). The police will then investigate; if they feel they have adequate information to find a crime has occurred the prosecutor will file charges; this can result in an arrest warrant. Under the laws of comity, and Federal Criminal statutes the states can enforce another state's arrest warrant. From a practical perspective it will come down to the seriousness of the crime and the resources of each state - whether the issuing state wishes to pursue extradition; and whether the new state has the resources to extradite. All but 2 states (Missouri, SC) have adopted the Uniform Criminal Extradition Act which allows the arrest of fugitives in a state accused of a crime in another state for which the penalty is at least one year in jail.

If it is a crime of harassment/domestic violence issues, one can seek a restraining order in the new state, but cite prior incidents to support the protective order, regardless of where the underlying action occurred.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

checking in on the above;

thank you for using Just Answer!