legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I had a visitor this morning wanting me to sign a petition

Customer Question

I had a visitor this morning wanting me to sign a petition regarding our City(Bushnell, Florida)not selling any city property such as Kenny Dixon complex and other, without first notifying the residents. I read over it to some degree, and signed, could there have been some writing in the petition that would give my home over to her? It did say petition, but I had just gotten out of bed and did not get a copy, which there was no way she could have given me one. She was alone and did not have a notary, which my daughter can verify, but was just wondering.
Expert:  legalgems replied 3 months ago.

No, the only type of document that would serve to transfer legal title to a property would be a grant deed, a quitclaim deed, or similar other document; it would clearly state that it was a Deed.

If someone did interject a deed in the middle of a petition, then the transfer can be void based on fraud and misrepresentation.

Furthermore, a deed must be notarized in order to have a valid legal effect;

it must also be witnessed.

All of the requirements are mandated by statute - here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Checking in on the above. Thank you for using Just Answer!