CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

If a judge signed a judgement against a real estate agent

Customer Question

If a judge signed a judgement against a real estate agent and he has to pay $300,000 but could not be located back in 1994. Can I still pursue the money and try and locate this person.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Civil judgments in CA are good for 10 years. However, they may be renewed every 10 years (this requires the judgment creditor to file a renewal notice before the prior 10 year period expired.

So in a case where the judgment was entered in 1994, the creditor would want to file a renewal in 2003 (9 years later) and then again in 2012 (9 years later), making the judgment enforceable until 2022.

(These dates are simply for illustration, you can file the renewal up to the day before the judgment expires, but that is cutting it very close).

The other possible issue would be if the judgment debtor declared bankruptcy and properly listed the judgment as a debt, and received a discharge. Civil judgments are subject to bankruptcy discharge, so if this occurred, the judgment would no longer be enforceable.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If the judge signed in may 1994, but the debtor could not be located. And no 10 year renewal was never filed, has our time to pursue void or are there still remedies available.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are we move longer able to pursue this judgement.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No longer.

No, the judgment is no longer enforceable. The judgment must be renewed each 10 year period or it expires.

(I am very sorry).