Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is a ,60 notice to vacate a legal document? 60 day notice to

Customer Question

Is a ,60 notice to vacate a legal document?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: 60 day notice to vacate
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The notice to vacate says one amount and now they're telling me a different amount is due to vacate.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you give me a little more detail about what is going on here?

.

I am not sure what you mean about the 60 day notice...

.

Are you asking if it has to be served by a sheriff or process server?

.

Or whether it will legally terminate a tenancy?

.

If you can give me a few more details about the back story, I will try to help..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I completed a notice to vacate given to me by my apartment complex with the amount I was to pay when I vacate the apartment written on the agreement. When I called today to verify the amount needed to pay my final amount, I was given a price that was $149 more than what I was originally told. When I asked why the amount change, it was brought to my attention that a leasing agent wrote the wrong amount and that I was now responsible for the new amount given. When I asked why am u responsible for a leasing agent's mistake, I was told that I was blinded by my lease not the notice to vacate form. My lease ends July 5 and the notice to vacate is dated July 1-28.

Have they shown you the math to prove that the agent made a clerical or mathematical mistake when the leasing agent wrote the amount on the notice?

.

Does your written lease back up the amount that they are claiming you owe?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
verbally over the phone for both questions. She explained that the agent left out an amount that needed to be included in my final payment and explained the amounts I need to pay and why

Ok, then unfortunately, the lease will control over the 60 day notice under the legal doctrine of "mistake". When someone makes a mistake in calculations on a document, then they are legally entitled to correct that mistake and the other party doesn't have the legal right to take advantage of the clerical mistake.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help and honesty.

You are very welcome. Glad to help even though the news is kind of lousy..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

thanks much

Did you have any further questions that I can help with?

.

.

thanks