How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33713
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom recieves social security, but when she applied, we

Customer Question

My mom recieves social security, but when she applied for it, we believe a mistake was done. She worked same time of length as my dad. Same job, same pay. My dad receives 1200.monthly, and my mom, 420. Can it be reviewed after so many years?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.


Can it be reviewed after so many years?


Yes, definitely it can still be reviewed and checked to make sure it is accurate. If everything was submitted correctly and SS made the mistake, that could result in them paying mother a lump sum amount for all the back pay that she would be entitled to. Even if mother made a mistake in filing, there is a good argument to be made for the back benefits because she is still legally entitled to them due to her work history.


So it sounds like something was definitely not filed correctly if they had identical work histories and there is such a large disparity in their benefits...


With that said, I would suggest going down to the local SS office personally, don't call on the phone as they will just ignore you, and make an appointment for a benefits review at the office to see what the problem is and what steps she needs to correct it and get the back benefits.




Related Legal Questions