Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My mom recieves social security, but when she applied, we

Customer Question

My mom recieves social security, but when she applied for it, we believe a mistake was done. She worked same time of length as my dad. Same job, same pay. My dad receives 1200.monthly, and my mom, 420. Can it be reviewed after so many years?
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can it be reviewed after so many years?

.

Yes, definitely it can still be reviewed and checked to make sure it is accurate. If everything was submitted correctly and SS made the mistake, that could result in them paying mother a lump sum amount for all the back pay that she would be entitled to. Even if mother made a mistake in filing, there is a good argument to be made for the back benefits because she is still legally entitled to them due to her work history.

.

So it sounds like something was definitely not filed correctly if they had identical work histories and there is such a large disparity in their benefits...

.

With that said, I would suggest going down to the local SS office personally, don't call on the phone as they will just ignore you, and make an appointment for a benefits review at the office to see what the problem is and what steps she needs to correct it and get the back benefits.

.

thanks