Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I was recently made aware that someone who had filed a

Customer Question

I was recently made aware that someone who had filed a lawsuit against me (was awarded the case) made a Facebook post stating that I had skipped town and unwilling to pay the settlement. My name was used in said post and I was called "one of the worst individuals" this person has ever met. Would I have a libel case on my hands?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The phrase "one of the worst individuals" is more of an opinion than an incorrect statement of fact and so it wouldn't be suitable for a libel case. However, the other phrases 1) you skipped town and 2) were unwilling to pay the judgment could potentially be the basis for a libel suit if they are untrue. If they are true to any extent then they would not be the basis for a libel suit since it has to be completely untrue.

However, the problem with libel lawsuits is that it is almost impossible to prove damages. So you could sue a person, prove that they committed libel, and then be awarded a judgment for $1 if you can't prove an amount of damages that the libel caused.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.