Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have an online business that sells products in the US. I

Customer Question

I have an online business that sells products in the US. I have $27,250 in unpaid bills across 6 invoices that are 6 months to 1 year old. I have been in contact with all of them and they say they will get the bills paid, however only one has sent any money. What would it cost to file suits for collection? Does it have to be done in the customers county of residence or can it be done in my county?
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

You would have to sue them where they are located in order to get personal jurisdiction to be able to force them to come to court and defend.

.

The cost is going to depend on whether you can file in small claims court without an attorney or whether the amounts owed are over the small claims limits so you would have to hire an attorney locally to sue them.. Small claims court filing fees are normally around $100, but there are limits anywhere from $2500 up to $15,000 depending on the state. If you have to hire an attorney to sue, it depends on the attorney but most won't take a civil case for less than $2500 or so to start.

.

But if you were to have a local attorney send a "demand letter" basically threatening to sue them in XX days if they didn't pay up, that tends to work because once they realize you have an attorney ready to sue, that may "encourage" them to pay rather than risk getting dragged into court to lose...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the next move is probably to find a local attorney in their jurisdiction that would send them a demand letter, correct? That attorney would need to be located in the county in which their company resides?Bob

So the next move is probably to find a local attorney in their jurisdiction that would send them a demand letter, correct?

.

Correct.

.

That attorney would need to be located in the county in which their company resides?

.

No, not necessarily in their county, but close by in the same state. You would just have to sue them in their county if it got that far..

.

.

thanks