LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

My property is under new management and my July rent went to

Customer Question

My property is under new management and my July rent went to the old management. The New management says I did not pay my rent. I did not gain access to their residential portal system until 6/18. I was notified on 6/20 my rent was not "paid". I was served a dispossessory notice. I have been here for 14 years with no issues with my rent payments. I think this is a tactic to get me out and charge a higher rent for this location.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Thanks
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have until July 5 to respond. I have filed a research/refund request with Western union for my June 2016 missing money order. Per Western Union it has not been cashed but will take another 4 weeks for them complete the investigation. To avoid further issues I paid my June/ July rent in the amount of $1100 as I was advised by my mother. I have not paid the $125.00 in fees because I do not believe I should pay the fees when my rent was paid on time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You may have a strong argument to make here. For that to happen, you need to show and support that the rent was sent and received but simply not cashed and applied. You just need to show it was sent/received on time and the $125 in late fees, should be waived. The old management needed to turn this over and provide it to the new company and if they did not, you should not be prejudiced. As long as you can show it was received by them on time and them not having it in their possession/account was through no fault of your own, then you can defeat this. You should advise them, in writing, that you are disputing the $125 in late fees and tell them that you are in the process of getting proof from Western Union, regarding the tracking of this and to allow you the 4 weeks, in good faith, to produce evidence. In the event that they refuse, you could pay the $125 and advise them that once you produce evidence, that you want to be reimbursed for the late fees, since they would not have a basis to assess them.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know