TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I inherited a house in 2011 that was willed to me point

Customer Question

I inherited a house in 2011 that was willed to me point blank, the others were supposed to get the assets. There were hardly any. Since I had no money for a lawyer, I found one that
agreed to get paid when the case was finished. The house was sold in January 2016 at which time the lawyer paid himself 23.000 Dollars. I was not allowed to get any money, it was put in an Estate account which I could not touch, because he now started to look for possible relatives, which he alledgedly could not do in the preceding years because he had no money for that. In the meantime, since January, I had to okay 1.050,00 and 1.127,00
because I am the Administrator, he told me. when I wanted to refuse, because I got tired
waiting for the money he threatened me he needed to pay his employees, and if I did not sign he would discontinue working on the case. Finally, as of this week, I am permitted to
access the money, but he wants me to sign another paper so he can withdraw 3.610,15
from the Escrow account. He also told me that I can not claim any money fir my work of
cleaning and emptying the house, caring for it for the last 5 years, nor the many miles and
cost if gasoline, etc. If I wanted to do this, his fees would be far more and it would not be
worth my efforts. The house was sold for 440.000, a reverse mortgage of almost 175.000
had to be repaid, the real estate people were paid and I received 195.000,00 is this correct?
Sincerely, ***** ***** M. Jansen
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

What you state sounds correct. First, I can understand that the attorney needs to be paid. He isn't going to work for free, and neither is his staff. And that is a good reason to take his advice and drop any claims for cleaning, etc. You'd have to pay the attorney to handle that matter, and it may cost you several thousand dollars more in fees, which could make filing those claims impractical. To be honest, it sounds like you got a pretty good deal from that attorney. I've certainly seen worse depending on how much work this took. I expect that the attorney can account for everything that he did, but it doesn't take long to get fees up to $30k if you're paying hourly, or if he's taking a commission for selling the house. Overall, nothing you wrote sounds like there is anything wrong here.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!